Point National Historic Site
Fort Point was constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
between 1853 and 1861 to prevent entrance of a hostile fleet into
San Francisco Bay.
Between 1933 and 1937 the fort was used as a base of operations for the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge. During World War II, Fort Point was occupied by about 100 soldiers who manned searchlights and rapid-fire cannon mounted atop the fort as part of the protection of a submarine net strung across the entrance to the Bay.
Fort Point is the only third system brick fort on the west coast of the United States. It became a National Historic Site on October 16th, 1970.
| Facts |
| BaCk to PaRkS |